Dental fillings on molars used to be mainly silver-coloured amalgam that would make the treated area darkened. However, now that porcelain inlays are available, we can achieve natural looking teeth throughout your mouth, and it does not look like you ever had a cavity. Porcelain inlays are as strong and long lasting as the metal filings, and are stain resistant.
Natural-looking composite is also used for small areas to replace old fillings. Composite is not as strong and durable as porcelain, however, it is a great replacement for better-looking teeth. Fillings do not usually last forever, and regular maintenance of good oral hygiene is required.
The benefits of composite ‘white’ fillings
- Aesthetics: Unlike amalgam (silver) fillings, composite fillings looks like your natural tooth. The colour blends to match the colour to your natural teeth.
- Support: Composite fillings bonds with the tooth structure, it offers support to a tooth weakened by decay. Therefore much less tooth needs to be removed in order to place the composite filling as compared to an amalgam filling that needs a mechanical undercuts to stay in place. Best to preserve as much tooth structure as possible for future restorations.
- Durability: Modern composite fillings are more durable. They are also now more resistant to fractures.
- Versatility: Composite filling are used to repair broken, worn and chipped teeth.
- Thermal stresses: Composite filling have better insulation qualities and offer more protection from destructive temperature swings, unlike amalgam fillings that expands and contracts when exposed to hot and cold food/drinks, that can lead to cracks appearing in teeth.
If you have a disoloured filling that are visible when smiling, you may like to change it. We can safely replace your old metal fillings with white fillings that will blend more naturally with your tooth colour.
195 Whitehorse Rd
Blackburn VIC 3130
03 9878 1597
03 9877 1105
Monday to Saturday for Your Convenience